Here is a quick summary of today’s meeting:
Carl Flowers was our greeter today. We started the meeting with the Pledge of Allegiance, led by Gail White. Ella Lacey shared a moment of reflection by Ms. Dorothy Nevill, “The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing at the right place but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment”.
With no piano today, we skipped the song. Gail White introduced our guests; Ms. Sierra Allen, who is now a proposed member!! And Mr. Jordan Flowers, a guest of Carl and Linda Flowers. Thank you to everyone for assisting!
- Club Foundation Challenge – The Rotarian donation challenge continues. The month of August is now sponsored by Jared Dorn, thank you Jared for continuing this challenge. A reminder, for the month of March, the challenge goes to Gil Kroening, Jerry Molumby will match for April, Jim Grant will match for May, Gayla Borgognoni will match for June, Ginger Murray will match for July, and Jared Dorn will match for August!!. Thanks again to all sponsors and donors to our club!
- Club Centennial Update – Committee Chair, Mrs. Kristine McGuire, updated the club on the Centennial. In a effort to plan one large celebration, the committee has moved the formal Centennial dinner to May 2021. We will officially start our Centennial Celebration at the May 6th 2020 meeting, with Mayor Mike Henry as our guest speaker. REMEMBER to bring a guest!!!
- Membership Drive – REMINDER, it is time to grow ROTARY. If you have friends and neighbors considering a service club, it is time to introduce them to Rotary. As part of our Membership drive, we will waive fees for meals for a period of 3 months and we will discount meals by 50% for the next 9 months.
- District News–President Elect training is March 21 & 22 in Effingham.
- 100 Little Things Update – Shane Hermetz presented Dental supplies to Faith Miller who is our Champion for the 100 dental supplies collection drive.Donations can be collected at every meeting, so dont forget to gather your 100 little things.
Good News shared today:
- Jeff Grubbs updated the club on the Turley Park project lead by the Kiwanis club. He discussed current funding levels and ways for Rotarians and individual alike to help move this project to completion.
- Sharon Lorinskas congratulated the basketball team for their continued success and bragged on the awesome streak of 19 straight regional championships for the scholar bowl team!!! Nice job!
Our Sergeant-at-Arms passed the collection basket, fining Rotarians not wearing GREEN in observation of St. Patrick’s Day.
Today’s guest speaker was Mr. Tom Grant and the topic was Founder’s Park.
Mr. Grant presented information regarding location and concept of the proposed park. Attached to this email is a copy of his materials.
Founders Park will reside on the site of the first college in Carbondale – Carbondale College. Mr. Grant discussed how the property has transitioned from owner to owner from the City’s incorporation in 1856 to current times.
The vision for the park is to memorialize the beginning of Carbondale – 1856-1970. Complete with an amphitheater and a pavilion, the park is planned to meet the needs of the entire community. Trees, gardens, seating, walking paths, intermingled with history, sounds like a great concept.
To learn more about the Park, please visit their facebook page at : https://www.facebook.com/foundersparkcarbondale/
Thank you to Mr. Grant for introducing our club to the Founder’s Park project!
A few dates to put on your calendar:
- District – President Elect Training – PETS – March 21-22, 2020 – Effingham, IL
- May 6, 2020 – Centennial Kickoff Event – REGULAR club meeting – Mayor Mike Henry
- RI – 2020 RI Conference will be held in HAWAII – June 6-10, 2020
The next regularly scheduled club meeting will be next week, with our guest speaker being Ms. Rindy Reeves, Egyptian Agency for Aging, speaking on the 2020 census.
The meeting ended with Brad Austin leading us in the four-way test.