Our club meeting today was near capacity. Awesome crowd. Here are a few highlights from the meeting:
Linda Meredith was our greeter today. We started the meeting with the National Anthem with Gail White on the piano.
Faith Miller shared a moment of reflection from Ms. Coretta Scott King, “The greatness of a community is most accurately measured by the compassionate action of its members.”
Allan Bennett led the club in the song, “Vive Le Rotary”.
Linda Flowers introduced our guest today, Ms. Sierra Allen, a guest of Pam Umlauf Brown. Thank you to all who helped with duties today.
- Club Foundation Challenge – Donations to the club will be matched by fellow Rotarians, see a club official for more details.
- Club Officers: Elections for the upcoming Rotary learn will be at our Feb 12th club meeting. For a list of candidates, please contact the Club President, Shane Hermetz.
- Club Centennial Update – The Centennial Committee is finalizing the plans for the kickoff event scheduled for SAT May 16, 2020. Event will be in the evening at the Carbondale Civic Center. The committee is finalizing event details such as menu and drink, invitations, and event program. Thank you to the Committee for its continued work.
Today’s guest speaker was Mr. Jeremy Robbins, Head of School, ant Brehm Preparatory School.
Brehm Prep School was founded in 1982 by Ms. Carol Brehm and a small group of professionals with specialties in teaching students with learning disabilities. With the goal of educating the whole child, Brehm Prep School focuses on assisting young adults on their path to success thru the avenue of learning. Mr. Robbins discussed classroom size, student/teach ratios, extra-curricular activities, and many more details. The highlight was getting to hear from two students. Each student shared how their experiences at Brehm Prep School have been a very positive mark in the academic lives. To learn more about this great institution, please visit their website:
Thank you to Jeremy and the students for a very good presentation!
Upcoming events – CHECK FACEBOOK… but here are a few:
- February 5th meeting – Mr. Steve Murphy, Superintendent, Carbondale School District 165
- February 12th meeting – Club Officer elections; speaker – Mr. Doug Lind, Professor of Law and Director of the SIU Law Library
- May 16, 2020 – Centennial Kickoff Event – SAVE THIS DATE
- RI – 2020 RI Conference will be held in HAWAII – June 6-10, 2020
The next regularly scheduled club meeting will be held on January 29, 2020, club assembly meeting.
Service above Self,
Shane Hermetz – Club President